Reading Group: WEEK 2 http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3507210.htm
After watching the Behind The News report ‘Landfill’ create an explanation page using the ipad. You need to choose something that goes into landfill. Using Inspirations record its journey using accurate information from the story.
- What words do you associate with computer coding?
- What is computer coding?
- Do you know that everything that you see or hear on the computer is stored using computer coding?
- List ways in which computing has impacted on your life.
- Think of how your life would be different without computer programming.
Premiers Reading Challenge!
The Premiers Reading Challenge has begun! Join the challenge and read as many books as you can!
If you meet the Challenge this year, the Premier of Victoria will send you a certificate of achievement. To meet the Challenge you need to read 15 books by the 8th of September and keep a record of them.
Here’s the link:
What is an insect?
What are the benefits of insects to humans?
Describe the devastation some insects can cause.
What is a pesticide?
Why are they trying to avoid using some pesticides?
5. When did the Australian soldiers land at Gallipoli?
6. In which country is Gallipoli?
- Click on this link to go to the BtN website:
Answer the following questions in your English book.1.What protective clothing do you need to wear if you are handling bees?2.What do the bees collect to make honey?3.Where is the nectar stored to make honey?4.The Varroa mite has spread to Australia. True or false?
5.Why is it important to protect bees?6.Create a facts chart about bees and beekeeping.
- After viewing BtN Beached Whales –
- Think about the following…
- What did you SEE in this video?
- What do you THINK about what you saw in this video?
- What does this video make your WONDER?
- What did you LEARN from this story?
- How did this story make you FEEL?
- Click on the link – KWLH – or rule up a page to complete the above table.
- 1. Where in Australia is Parliament House? Locate using Google Maps.
- 2. The House of Representatives is also known as the ________ house.
- 3. What does it mean when the speaker says ‘order’?
- 4. Can you name two past Australian Prime Ministers?
- 5. How much does the flag on top of Parliament House weigh?
What is Democracy?1. What happened in ancient Greece that led to people wanting asay in decision making?2. The word `democracy’ comes from which two words?3. Monarchies became popular in the Middle Ages. Explain what a monarchy is.4. Why was Magna Carta an important document?5. In Australia we have something called a ________________democracy.6. Who represents us in parliament?
- BtN Reading Activity
- Use a class iPad to complete the following –
- Click on the link below to watch BtN – Levels of Government
- Answer the following questions in your English book. Remember to rule a margin, date your work and answer in sentences.
- 1. Why do you think we need government?
- 2. What are the three levels of government in Australia?
- 3. What is the federal government responsible for? Give three examples.
- 4. State government is responsible for…
- 5. What does local government look after?
- 6. Before federation the states governed themselves. True or false?
- 7. When and why were local governments introduced?
- 8. What happens when local, state and federal governments disagree?
- 9. Why do you think we need three levels of government in Australia?
- 10. What was surprising about this story
- ICT Task: BTN Cybersmart. Watch the following video and answer the question.
- What is the main idea of this video?
- When you’ve properly answered this question, create your own logo for Safer Internet Day 2017.